What is Storage Area Network (SAN)?
Storage Area Network is a type of computer network. Which provides a block level data facility to the users to maintain the storage. A SAN is a set of switches, hosts, storage devices, and storage elements that make up it.
Storage area network only accesses the block level. The SAN file systems that a makes up provide file level access known as Shared-disk File , also Systems.
What is the use of SAN?
- This improves the availability of the application.
- Increases the effectiveness of storage usage, strengthens storage resources, improves data protection even more.
- Storage area network plays an important role in the business continuity management of an organization.
- Improves the performance of the application.
Storage Area Network Components or Components
SAN is known to have 3 different layers. Each layer has its own unique characteristics and components.
1. Host Layer
Host Layer represents Attach Servers. Databases such as Host Servers Most Enterprise Workload is run, that's Storage Access is required. SAN Host also includes Separate Network Adapter which is dedicated to SAN Access.
Fc is the most popular and powerful technology among SAN technologies, the network adapters used for Fc SAN are called Host Bus Adapter (HBA).
2. Fabric Layer
Under the Fabric Layer, there are SAN Networking Devices such as – SAN Switch, Protocol Bridge, Gateway Device, Router and Cable. Compliant with Cabling and SAN Fabric Devices, Port Optical Fiber Connections employ cables based on Traditional Copper for multiple-distance network communication.
SAN Fabric When is constructed, Multiple Connections are implemented to provide Multiple Paths. Any one of these paths Damage SAN Communication uses its Alternative Path.
3. Storage Layer
Storage layer is associated with different storage devices collected in different storage pools or tiers or types. The Storage Layer includes Traditional Magnetic Hdds (Traditional Magnetic HDDs). But it can also include optical media devices such as CDs, DVD drives and tape drives as well as SSDs.
About SAN Switches
SAN Switch is the focal point of a SAN. As with most network switches, the switch SAN receives data packets in one way. Also determines the source and location of the packet and forwards the packet to the device of the desired location.
The SAN Fabric Topology the types of switches and the number of switches such as Modular Or Edge Switch, Backbone defines Switch as well as the way the switches are interconnected.
Smaller SANs can use modular switches with 16, 24 or 32 ports, but larger SANs can use backbone switches with 64 or 128 ports.
Quality Of Service
SAN Storage The Quality of Service of enables the calculation and maintenance of the desired storage performance for the customers. Some factors that affect SAN QOS.
1. Bandwidth – Measures the rate of throughput of the data available on the system.
2 . Latency execute – Checks the delay in time in the read and write operations to .
3. Queue Depth – Underlying Disk helps to check the number of outstanding operations of the traditional or solid-state drives, the time it takes to execute.
Advantages of SAN
Here you are Storage Area Network told the features of .
- Data Security – Data security is important for every business. The security of data with SAN is excellent. It keeps your data safe. Your data is completely safe from hackers.
- High Availability – There is no failover path between the host and the storage device in a SAN. Communication across the fabric always finds an alternative path to maintain the availability of storage for workloads.
- Bandwidth reduction problems - it Bandwidth improves the upcoming problems.
- Fast data transfer speed transfers data through – This technology fiber optics, which can transfer data at a speed faster than 5 Gbps.
- High Performance – Typical SAN uses a separate network fabric. Fabric traditionally provides top performance for FC.
Disadvantages of SAN
Just as you have known above San Ke Fayde , it also has some disadvantages.
- Expensive Storage storage – It can cost a significant amount to use, as it leading provides industry- data and transfer facility.
- Management – SAN Management is one kind of big challenge. Lun Configuring Mapping and Zoning is a problem for busy organizations.
- Improper working on some servers – SAN doesn't work well on some servers.
How did you like this article Storage Area Network, do tell us by writing a comment so that we also get a chance to learn something from your thoughts and improve something. To show your happiness and curiosity towards my post, please share this post on Social Networks such as Share Facebook on , Twitter etc.